It was a tough week last week as I went 6-4 on my predictions, making me 29-11 on the season. Below are my picks for week 5's top 10 games. I'm banking on some big time performances from some quarterbacks to make this week's picks come true.
10. Detroit Mumford (3-1) at #39 Detroit Cody (4-0) this is a match-up of two of the better quarterbacks in the PSL that don't get much pub in Dennis Martin (Mumford) and Brandon Hall (Cody). Mumford let a game slip away two weeks ago against Henry Ford so the Mustangs will be out to prove a point.
NGS PICK- Mumford 20-12
9. #47 Davison (2-2) at #46 Lansing Sexton (3-1) this game could go either way so experience will play a huge factor and I give that edge to the fellas at Sexton. The Big Red defense has the playmakers to handle the run and pass while Carlous Kelley will find a way to keep those chains moving.
NGS PICK- Sexton 23-21
8. Merrill (4-0) at Carrollton (4-0) this is a big time game in the Tri-Valley West and Mid-Michigan. Carrollton is off to their best start in nearly two decades behind star back Robert Essex. Merrill has their own star in quarterback Jason Pratt who has been putting up huge numbers on the ground as well as the air.
NGS PICK- Merrill 42-26
7. #45 Orchard Lake St. Mary’s (2-2) at #11 Brother Rice (3-1) we all know how good St. Mary's is but they need to start chalking up some W's or else they might miss the playoffs. This is just another week where the catholic teams will just beat up on each other. I like the match-ups in this game to favor St. Mary's and I think the Eaglets will start playing with some urgency. Brother Rice also got pretty banged up in last week's win so it is unclear how healthy the Warriors will be.
NGS PICK- OLSM 30-25
6. #5 DeLaSalle (4-0) at #27 Detroit Catholic Central (2-1) the other catholic league battle and again I'm picking the upset with C.C. playing with some urgency. The DeLaSalle offense has been fantastic with Josh Sinagoga leading the way but they might come to a road block against linebacker Michael Kinville and a tough C.C. defensive front.
NGS PICK- Catholic Central 28-24
5. #13 Dearborn Fordson (4-0) at Allen Park (3-1) Fordson has been on cruise control but they now enter the tough part of their schedule and we'll get a chance to see how good the Tractors really are. Allen Park fights week in and week out and are 3 points away from being undefeated themselves. I look for Fordson's Mr. Everything- Ali Alaboody to get the Tractors over the hump.
NGS PICK- Fordson 22-10
4. #30 Chippewa Valley (3-1) at #9 Romeo (4-0) I'll tell you this- if Romeo is 8-0 in four weeks they'll be the best team in Michigan. We'll find out if the win over Dakota was a fluke or not because the schedule gets real tough starting with Chippewa Valley. Romeo will have to find a way to shut down QB Joe Smith and the Valley air attack.
NGS PICK- Romeo 35-24
3. Milford (3-1) at #17 Hartland (4-0) Hartland's spread offense has looked flawless under QB Chris Cagle. The Eagles have yet to be challenged and this will be their biggest test of the season, so far. Milford will try to turn this game into an old fashioned slugfest but the Eagles have way too much speed for Milford to contain. I'm predicting a huge game from Cagle, who is on a mission.
NGS PICK- Hartland 31-21
2. #10 Sterling Heights Stevenson (4-0) at #23 Macomb Dakota (3-1) Dakota showed the state that they really are human and Stevenson, like Romeo, will exploit their weaknesses. Stevenson has been routing teams and while flying under the radar, but that'll come to an end if they pull out this win. Look for QB Jason Fracassa to pick Dakota apart.
NGS PICK- Stevenson 38-30
1. #6 Rochester Adams (4-0) at #20 Southfield (4-0) Will Adams finally get tested? They'll put up points like they normally do but for the Highlanders to stay undefeated they will need to contain QB Eddie Beal who is a pure playmaker. Southfield has been a pleasant surprise this season but they won't be able to match Adam's experience.
NGS PICK- Adams 35-32