I finished 7-3 on last week's picks and that makes me 52-28 on the season. Well this is it- the final week of the season but there is still allot to be decided, like who will advance into the playoffs, and their are a whole lot of teams sitting on 5 wins. Below are my top 10 games and picks of week 9.
10. Arthur Hill (5-3) at Saginaw (3-5) no, this game isn’t intriguing as when these teams meet on the hardwood but it’s still one of the state’s top rivalries, and both teams want bragging rights. The Hill needs the win to get into the playoffs and the High would love to ruin those playoff hopes. The big question is how healthy Jerrell Wilson is for Arthur Hill, without him the Jacks have slipped a notch.
NGS PICK- Arthur Hill 34-26
9. Southgate Anderson (7-1) at Wyandotte Roosevelt (8-0) it’s no disrespect to Roosevelt but who have they play at 8-0? Not one of their wins is against a team already qualified for the playoffs. Anderson on the other hand has battled all season and their lone loss is to highly rated Fordson.
NGS PICK- Anderson 28-21
8. Lansing Everett (6-2) at Lansing Sexton (6-2) you just don’t know what Sexton team will show up? The team that smacked Holt and Davison or the team that smacked around by Mason. Regardless you know Sexton can put up points but can they stop Reggie Williams?
NGS PICK- Sexton 27-20
7. Brother Rice (5-3) vs. OLSM (4-4) I just didn’t expect either of these teams to have this many looses this season, believe me these teams are better than their records indicate but it always comes down to what’s on paper. St. Mary’s snuck past a hobbled Brother Rice team in week 5 but the Warriors are healthy now.
NGS PICK- Brother Rice 35-32
6. Holt (5-3) at Davison (5-3) although I do believe that both teams will get into the playoffs, neither wants to finish 5-4 and depend on playoff points. Both teams are very talented but both are also victims of scheduling a ridiculously tough schedule. This is going to be a dog fight and Davison’s sophomore QB Jake Thompson will have to provide some more magic for the Cardinals.
NGS PICK- Davison 27-23
5. Clarkston (6-2) at Lake Orion (7-1) not to brag but I just knew Lake Orion’s defense was going to get the job done against Rochester Adams last week and I’m predicting another big time performance from the Dragons. Freshman QB Sean Charette has been fantastic for Lake Orion. But don’t expect either team to show too much because they might have a rematch next week in round 1 of the playoffs.
NGS PICK- Lake Orion 33-21
4. Detroit Osborn (8-0) vs. Detroit Southwestern (7-1) the PSL division B Championship doesn’t have the star power like the division A game will have, but it should be just as good of a showing. Osborn has a powerful run game with a platoon of backs however Southwestern has only given up more than 6 points once this year…something has to give?
NGS PICK- Osborn 12-8
3. DeLaSalle (8-0) vs. Detroit C.C. (5-2) this is a tough pick especially since I witnessed the first meeting where every snap was crucial. The Ford Field turf will benefit DeLaSalle’s speed and the Pilots will need another spectacular performance from Ben Hayes, whom dominated the C.C. O-line in week 5.
NGS PICK- DeLaSalle 21-17
2. Detroit Cass Tech (7-1) vs. Detroit Southeastern (7-1) everyone in Michigan already knows what defensive head-hunters William Campbell (Cass) and William Gholston (S.E.) bring to the table. So the difference maker in this game comes at the quarterback position, whoever can make the most plays with their arm out of Thomas Gordon (Cass) and Edward Thomas (S.E.) will come out PSL Champs!
NGS PICK- Southeastern 22-20
1. East Grand Rapids (8-0) at Lowell (8-0) it’s finally here, the game that everyone had circled all the back in August! Two of the nation’s best will duke it out for the OK-White crown. Neither team has been truly tested all season so it will be interesting to see how both teams react come the fourth quarter. Can Lowell slow down the East run game led by Joe Glendening? Can East find a way stop the Lowell pass combo of Kyle Nichol and Torsten Boss?
NGS PICK- Lowell 38-35