Just when I think that I know who is who around the state I struggle to a 5-5 record in last week's picks making me 34-16 on the season and the picks don't get any easier but here they are, my week 6 top games and picks.
10. Novi (4-1) at #49 Livonia Stevenson (4-1) this game will decide the eventual KLAA-Central division champion with both teams sitting at 3-0 in conference play. Novi will have to find a solution to slowing down Austin White who has been a workhorse so far this season, but the Wildcats do counter back with two skilled receivers in Brandon Bradford and Brandon Bryant.
NGS PICK- Stevenson 27-13
9. #42 Hartland (4-1) at #47 Howell (4-1) Hartland hit a speed bump last week and I look for the Eagles to bounce back and take their frustrations out on Howell, but Hartland better be prepared for another chippy and physical contest. I’m predicting big games from receivers Vonn Jones and Matt Poches but the Eagles will have to limit the Howell run attack that is led by junior Robin Witjes.
NGS PICK- Hartland 31-24
8. #14 Macomb Dakota (4-1) at #20 Grosse Pointe North (5-0) yes, North is 5-0 but none of those wins are against a team with a winning record, so their biggest contest comes against the 2-time defending champs, and I am sure the Cougars will love to hand North their first loss but Dakota will have to find a way to manufacture points because North has only given up 13 points in 5 games.
NGS PICK- Dakota 13-10
7. Mt. Morris (4-1) at #50 Goodrich (5-0) another big time conference battle with the winner walking away with the GAC-Red Title. Goodrich’s offense has been unloading on teams with their two headed monster of QB Joey Boisture and RB Jake Bourassa. Mt. Morris does have an advantage in the trenches with some big hogs that will look to limit the B&B boys.
NGS PICK- Goodrich 28-20
6. #16 Lake Orion (4-1) at #33 Troy (4-1) even though I have Troy ranked #33 they have yet to show me a big win and I don’t see it coming against Lake Orion. L.O.’s defense is too good and Troy won’t be able to get kicker Kevin Muma in field goal range.
NGS PICK- Lake Orion 23-13
5. Chelsea (4-1) at #9 Adrian (5-0) Brighton put a chink in Adrian’s armor last week and Chelsea will add to that but Adrian will find a way to get the win in a close game. Adrian has been blowing low level teams away so we will see how they react down the stretch of a close game.
NGS PICK- Adrian 41-32
4. Det. Southeastern (4-1) at #11 Det. Cass Tech (5-0) oh boy, will the stars be out for this game! Both teams have headliners with Big Will Campbell and Michigan commits Thomas Gordon and Teric Jones leading Cass but S.E. counters back with William Gholston at D-end. Expect a defensive battle with both teams having pitched 3 shutouts so far this year but in the end Cass Tech has too much fire power.
NGS PICK- Cass Tech 17-12
3. #19 St. Joseph (5-0) at #17 Stevensville Lakeshore (5-0) this game will feature two of the state’s underrated QB’s in Sean Guinane of St. Joseph and Zak Wasserman of Lakeshore. Besides the QB’s these are two very talented and very well coached football teams. Fans will get their dollars worth because this game will come down to the wire.
NGS PICK- St. Joseph 20-19
2. #41 Bay City Western (4-1) at #7 Midland (5-0) these are the only two SVL teams left without a conference lost, but there is still plenty of football to be played. Corey Arnold and his Western teammates have looked good racing out to a 4-1 record but they will have trouble covering all of Andrew Maxwell’s targets. Western will want to control the time of possession because they don’t want to turn this game into a shootout.
NGS PICK- Midland 38-28
1. #13 Hudsonville (4-1) at #2 Muskegon (5-0) Last year these two teams split games with each blowing the other out, only problem for the Big Reds is their loss came in the playoffs. Muskegon will be out looking for revenge but it will be tough because Hudsonville is the real deal. Expect to see these teams run, run, and run some more. RB Jordan Jonker will pace Hudsonville while QB Elan Banks is just one of a handful of Big Red playmakers.
NGS PICK- Muskegon 27-21