For the second straight week I struggled to a 5-5 record in my picks, making me 39-21 on the season. Games get real interesting in week 7 as some undefeated teams get it on and conference titles are up for grab. Below are my week 7 top games and picks.
10. Standish-Sterling (6-0) at Bay City John Glenn (6-0) Both teams enter undefeated but one will walk away with the Northeast Conference Title. Bowling Green commit, Austin Collier leads the way for Standish on both sides of the ball. John Glenn has rolled up six straight wins but we’ll find out how real they are in the next three weeks as their opponents have a combined one loss.
NGS PICK- John Glenn 28-17
9. #48 Chippewa Valley (4-2) at #18 Sterling Heights Stevenson (5-1) Two similar teams that are well coached playoff teams but both sit in the middle of the MAC-Red. This could have playoff implications as the two might meet again. Stevenson’s QB Jason Fracassa has came into his own and he will get the job done.
NGS PICK- Stevenson 27-14
8. Holt (4-2) at #14 Lansing Everett (5-1) Holt is already in playoff mode and will have to win two of their last three games to make the playoffs, unfortunately those games are against Everett, Grand Ledge, and Davison. Holt just doesn’t have the overall team speed to chase Everett around for four quarters.
NGS PICK- Everett 27- 20
7. #2 East Grand Rapids (6-0) at Grand Rapids Christian (5-1) East hasn’t been truly tested all year and this will be their toughest game leading into a week 9 battle against Lowell. Christian has a tough defense that doesn’t give up much and their main mission will focus on slowing down Joe Glendening who has the speed and moves to score from anywhere, as evident last week when he scored 4 TDs that were longer than 50 yards.
NGS PICK- East GR 28-13
6. #7 Rochester Adams (6-0) at Farmington Hills Harrison (4-2) In order for the Hawks to make the playoffs they will need to get a win over Adams or Clarkston in the next two weeks. I just don’t see either of those wins happening. Harrison will have trouble keeping pace with Adams on the score board and this game could get ugly early.
NGS PICK- Adams 41-21
5. #42 Grand Rapids South Christian (6-0) at #40 Caledonia (6-0) Although Caledonia is 6-0 they are getting plenty of dents in their armor. Is this the year South Christian gets over the hump behind quarterback Brent Geers? Winner also gets their hands on the OK-Gold Title.
NGS PICK- South Christian 32-28
4. #33 Chelsea (5-1) at #43 Ann Arbor Pioneer (5-1) Chelsea shocked the state with their upset win over Adrian last week and most of the credit has to be given to running back Nick Hill who plastered Adrian for 310 rushing yards and 4 TDs. Pioneer has been solid all season but Hill will be too much for the Pioneers to handle.
NGS PICK- Chelsea 30-17
3. Arthur Hill (4-2) at #17 Bay City Western (5-1) the Jacks are in desperate need to snap a two game loosing streak and not a better way to do it than by knocking off Western who just popped Midland last week. A Hill win will really shakes up the S.V.L. but a Western win makes them the team to beat. Western will have their work cut out for them trying to contain the Hill’s workhorse- Omari Humes.
NGS PICK- Western 35-34
2. #19 Lansing Sexton (5-1) at #21 Mason (5-1) Mason has been the surprise team in the Lansing area with a 5-1 record and a win over Sexton will lock up the CAAC-Red Title. But Mason might not want to celebrate too early because Sexton might be too much for Mason to handle with the speed and power the Big Reds place all over the field.
NGS PICK- Sexton 34-21
1. #30 Dearborn (5-1) at #8 Dearborn Fordson (6-0) Fordson needs wins over Dearborn and undefeated Anderson over the next two weeks to secure the MEGA-Red Title but they better beware of a dangerous Dearborn team. Hasen Amen and Ali Alaboody have racked up huge yards all season and Fordson will need another dominate performance out of their 1-2 punch.
NGS PICK- Fordson 24-20